Health District

Do I still need a permit if I am giving away food?

Food prepared in a private home and given away free of charge for charitable purposes, such as feeding unhoused individuals, does not require a permit.  The food cannot be given to a food establishment and cannot be associated with a special event.
Food given away druing promotional events does not quailfy for this expemption and a permit is still needed for these types of events.

Last modified on 11/02/2023

NOTICE: The Washoe County Health District will be changing its name to Northern Nevada Public Health on Aug. 31, 2023. That move will result in major design changes (look and feel) to the website, a new URL (, a new logo and more. More information on the change will be available soon.